Koilonychia Symptoms, Treatment
Koilonychia can be defined as a nail disorder of fingernails in which they are flattened and have concavities with raised edges. It is also called spoon nails.
Koilonychia is a well-recognized clinical sign of iron deficiency occurring either with or without anemia.
In Koilonychia disorders produced as a result of the inadequate intake, unbalanced diet, digestive problems, absorption problems, or inadequate digestion of nutrients or other medical conditions will prevent nail improvement.
Koilonychia may be inherited as an autosomal dominant trait or it may be associated with other syndromes. Since the Koilonychia is associated with iron deficiency it is important to take care of your nutrition to fight not only against spoon nails but also with the fatigue, mood changes and decreased cognitive proper function of this condition.
With proper nail care, the Koilonychia can improve in appearance especially if you avoid abusing your nails using them as tools to pick, poke or pry things like for brittle nails, keep the nails short and avoid nail polish. Use an emollient (skin softening) cream after washing or bathing.
What are the causes of Koilonychia ?
Koilonychia is the main nail disease in which the nail plate is changed from convex contour to concave contour.
Koilonychia condition is usually self limiting.
Causes for Koilonychia are decribed as Chronic exposure to moisture or to nail polish can produce brittle nails with peeling of the edge of the nail,
Nail biting can be a sign of anxiety, chronictension or uncontrollable compulsion,
Crush injury to base of the nail or the nail bed may produce a permanent deformity and
Fungus or yeast produce changes in the color, texture, and shape of the nails are some causes of koilonychia.
Treatment of Koilonychia:
- One should keep in mind that this nail disorder should be treated as soon as one recognizes it associating.
- Take iron as prescribed by your doctor to avoid possible problems related to iron overload, and do not mix iron with beverages such as coffee or tea because these drinks inhibits iron absorption.
- Since Koilonychia is caused due to malnutrition, therefore it is very important to take care of your nutrition habits and diets. As it occurs mainly due to iron deficiency, so you must eat food containing more iron content in them.
- One should wear gloves when exposing the hands to harmful chemicals such as alkalies or washing dishes, it is effective to reduce koilonychias.
- When this nail disorder is developed because of malnutrition, so it is necessary to take care of the diets and nutrition habits. If it happens because of lack of iron, one should eat diet that includes iron content
- One should wear only comfortable shoes.